Another man arrested in Carrickfergus over SEA UDA murder of loyalist George Gilmore

More on ongoing UDA – SEA UDA feud – And still no charges of belonging to an illegal organistion!!

 A 23-year-old man has been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of high-profile loyalist George Gilmore.

George GilmoreGeorge Gilmore was shot in the neck in a “ruthless attack in broad daylight” police said

A 32-year-old woman arrested earlier on Sunday has been released.

The PSNI also carried out a search connected to the murder and an ongoing loyalist feud in the Trailcock Road area.

Mr Gilmore, who was 44, was shot in the neck while he was in his car in Cafrrickfergus on Monday afternoon. He died in hospital on Tuesday.

Charged

Two men have appeared in court charged with murdering the high-profile loyalist.

Brian Roy McLean, 35, of The Birches, Carrickfergus, and 28-year-old Samuel David McMaw, of Starbog Road, Kilwaughter, appeared at Laganside Court on Saturday.

They were jointly charged with murdering Mr Gilmore on Monday, the attempted murders of two other people on the same day and possessing a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

In court, both the accused spoke only to confirm their names and that they understood the charge.

There was no application for bail and both were remanded in custody.

Two men appear in court over murder of SEA UDA loyalist George Gilmore

 Latest news: In ongoing loyalist feud but the true question remains:”Why were they not charged with belonging to an illegal organistion”?

 Two men have appeared in court charged with murdering high-profile loyalist George Gilmore.

Mr Gilmore, who was 44, was shot in the neck while he was in his car in Carrickfergus on Monday afternoon.

He died in hospital on Tuesday.

George GilmoreGeorge Gilmore was shot in a “ruthless attack in broad daylight” police said.

Brian Roy McLean, 35, of The Birches Carrick and 28-year-old Samuel David McMaw of Starbog Road, Kilwaughter appeared at Laganside Court on Saturday.

They were jointly charged with murdering Mr Gilmore on Monday, the attempted murders of two other people on the same day and possessing a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

In court, both the accused spoke only to confirm their names and that they understood the charge.

There was no application for bail and both were remanded in custody, to appear again by video-link next month.

As they were taken from the dock, supporters who had packed into the court leapt to their feet, clapping and cheering.

Two men charged over murder of SEA UDA loyalist George Gilmore in ongoing loyalist fued

More on: Ongoing loyalist in fued

George Gilmore
George Gilmore was shot in a “ruthless attack in broad daylight”, police said

Two men have been charged with the murder of a high-profile loyalist after a gun attack in County Antrim.

George Gilmore, who was 44, was shot in the neck while he was in his car

Police forensic officers at the scene of the shootingImage copyrightPRESS EYE
Image captionPolice sealed off part of Pinewood Avenue as they investigated the attack on Monday

He died in hospital on Tuesday and police described his killing as a “ruthless attack in broad daylight”.

The two men, aged 28 and 35, will appear in court in Belfast on Saturday morning on several charges.

As well as the murder charge they will each face, the men are also accused of two counts of attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Finucanes to take case to British Supreme Court

Pat Finucane (1949 – 1989)

The widow of solicitor Pat Finucane is to take her legal fight for a public inquiry into his murder to the UK’s supreme court.

Senior judges in Belfast today refused Geraldine Finucane leave to appeal their decision that the British government was entitled to deny her such a tribunal.

But it now clears the way for the family to petition directly for a hearing in London.

Mrs Finucane’s legal representatives later confirmed their intention to continue their challenge to judicial findings that former prime minister David Cameron had acted lawfully.

They are expected to argue that the case raises legal points of general public importance.

Mr Finucane, 39, was shot dead by loyalist paramilitaries in front of his wife and three children at their north Belfast home in February 1989.

His family has campaigned for a full examination of alleged security force collusion with the killers.

In 2011 Mr Cameron decided against ordering a public inquiry, and instead commissioned QC Sir Desmond de Silva to review all documents relating to the case and produce a narrative of what happened.

Sir Desmond’s report confirmed agents of the state were involved in the murder and that it should have been prevented.

He also linked the military’s Force Research Unit because one of its agents was involved in selecting targets.

However, the report concluded there had been no overarching state conspiracy.

The Finucane family rejected the findings as a whitewash and accused the government of unlawfully reneging on previous commitments.

Pledges to set up such a tribunal, based on the recommendation of retired Canadian judge Peter Cory, were made by a former Labour government in 2004 and reaffirmed in the following years, it was contended.

In 2015 a judge backed the government’s case that shifting public interest issues were enough to override Mrs Finucane’s expectation.

Appealing that verdict, her lawyers argued that a full public inquiry was necessary to examine an alleged abuse of power for which no-one in authority has been brought to account.

They argued that the murdered solicitor was the victim of an army-run death squad normally associated with Latin American dictatorships.

Counsel for Mrs Finucane claimed her husband’s killing was due to covert, state-sponsored terrorism and represents a “horror story” for the British Government.

Only Ken Barrett, the loyalist gunman and “UDA puppet” convicted of the killing, has been held responsible, it was contended.

But last month the Court of Appeal rejected the Finucane family’s case, including allegations that the government staged an elaborate sham process before announcing its predetermined decision.

Judges agreed that the murdered solicitor’s widow had received a clear and unambiguous promise that any recommended inquiry would be held.

However, they concluded that other issues, including political developments in Northern Ireland and the potential cost of a lengthy process, were enough to frustrate her legitimate expectation.

Mrs Finucane’s legal team returned to the court today to apply for leave to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court.

They again raised points about her legitimate expectation and rights under European law.

Despite those submissions, Lord Justice Gillen ruled there was no conflicting legal issues that warranted giving permission.

He said: “We are therefore going to follow the practice of this court and leave the matter to the UK Supreme Court to decide if they are going to grant leave on this matter.”

Later, Mrs Finucane’s solicitor, Peter Madden, confirmed plans to lodge an application in London next week.

With many thanks to: Madden and Finucane Solicitors.

The Milltown Massacre

The Milltown Massacre took place on 16th March 1988 in Belfast’s Milltown Cemetery. During the funerals of IRA volunteers Mairéad Farrell, Séan Savage and Dan McCann Murdered in Gibraltar by the S.A.S, an Ulster Defence Association (UDA) volunteer, Michael Stone, attacked the mourners with hand grenades and pistols. As Stone then ran towards the nearby motorway, a large crowd began chasing him and he continued shooting and throwing grenades. Three people had been killed and more than 60 wounded. The evil, attack was filmed by television news crews and caused shock around the world.The funeral service and requiem mass went ahead as planned, and the cortege made its way to Milltown Cemetery, off the Falls Road. Present were thousands of mourners and top members of the IRA. Two RUC helicopters hovered overhead. Stone claimed that he entered the graveyard through the front gate with the mourners. Some eyewitnesses claimed to have seen Stone enter the graveyard from the M1 motorway with three other people (two men and a woman). The others walked across the graveyard and later left on the Falls Road side. As the third coffin was about to be lowered into the ground, Stone threw two grenades—which had a seven-second delay—toward the republican plot and began shooting.

The first grenade exploded near the crowd and about 20 yards (18 m) from the grave. Amid the panic and confusion, people took cover behind gravestones. Stone began jogging toward the motorway, several hundred yards away, chased by dozens of men and youths. He continued shooting and throwing grenades at his pursuers. Three people were killed while pursuing Stone two Catholic civilians Thomas McErlean (20) and John Murray (26), and a Provisional IRA volunteer, Caoimhín Mac Brádaigh (30). During the attack about 60 people were wounded by bullets, grenade shrapnel and fragments of marble and stone from gravestones. Among those wounded was a pregnant mother of four, a 72-year-old grandmother and a ten-year-old boy.
In the 19 March edition of the Irish Times, columnist Kevin Myers, an opponent of republican paramilitary violence, wrote: “Unarmed young men charged against the man hurling grenades and firing an automatic pistol. The young men stalking their quarry repeatedly came under fire; they were repeatedly bombed; they repeatedly advanced. Indeed this was not simply bravery; this was a heroism which in other circumstances, I have no doubt, would have won the highest military decorations.
A white van that had been parked by the motorway suddenly drove off as Stone fled from the angry crowd. The RUC said the van was part of an uninvolved police patrol. Stone later claimed that a getaway vehicle, driven by a UDA member, was waiting for him on the motorway but the driver “panicked” and left. By the time Stone reached the motorway, he had seemingly run out of ammunition. He ran out onto the road and tried to stop cars, but was caught by the crowd and beaten. RUC officers quickly arrived at that point and arrested him.

with many thanks to: Sean Larkin – South Derry.

FIND IT IN YOUR HEART TO HELP A POOR PROD

TODAY we launch an appeal for much-needed funds for loyalist paramilitaries and Loyalist Communities Council (LCC).

image

After giving up their criminal campaign, 20 years after they last promised to give up their criminal campaign, the Re-home a Red Hand and Adopt a UDA Man (RRHAUDAM) appeals urgently need your help. For just £50,000 a year could give idle buggers like Sammy from the Shankill a community worker’s job.
It would help to pay for the three holidays a year and the top-of-the-range car which he and his family so badly need. In return, he’ll promise to enrich the culture of his community and lay off doing anyones’ knees. Obviously he’d still be good for a bit of blow (weed) but keep it to yourself. But the suddenly contrite paramilitaries aren’t looking for charity. They will be bringing important job skills to any cushy number they’re offered. They have maths skills from years of working out if Jonty has a kilo of weed how many half ounces can he knock out if he expects a 50 per cent mark up.

Or if a local businessman refuses to pay his £80-a-week protection money how many bricks will it take to do his windows. They have invaluable people skills, honed over decades of dealing with the local community – the bookies, the bar men, the travel agents, the car dealers, the wee girls in the off-licence. And all they want is the chance to give back to their community by getting the jobs few of them have ever bothered getting before. They long to experience life on minimum wage and a zero hours contract because who needs qualifications when you have an overwhelming sense of entitlement. Our appeal so far has raised £1 million from the Tony Blair’s an Angel Who’s Still Fixing the World Foundation.

image

VITALLY

It’s a tiny amount compared to the £26 million which was raised by the PIRA in their Northern Bank fundraiser but it was either that or cupcake sales for the next millennium. It’s vitally important that the paramilitaries are shown our love because otherwise they might just keep doing what they’ve always done for the last 20 years. There will be some strays from the path of peace, like Tyrone, South East Antrim, East Belfast and the UPRG who aren’t ready to leave the old ways behind. They will be humanely arrested for blatantly breaking the law, even though they’ve miraculously got away with a life of crime up to now. So please give what you can – support your local loyalist so he doesn’t have to.
With many thanks to: Roisin Gorman. http://roisin.gorman@sundayworld.com. Sunday World.

Loyalist groups ‘denounce criminality’ and support new loyalist community council – BBC News

Peace pledge loyalists (LCC) the new name for UVF, UDA and Red Hand Commando are in line for Blair £1m

image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34522975?SThisFB

%d bloggers like this: