Jeffrey Epstein appears in a photograph taken for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services’ sex offender registry in 2017 Image copyright: REUTERS
The FBI has opened a formal investigation into how US financier Jeffrey Epstein was able to apparently kill himself in prison while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
His body was discovered early on Saturday at a facility in New York.
Last month Epstein was found semi-conscious in his cell after an apparent suicide attempt.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said it “way too convenient” that Epstein could no longer incriminate others.
“What a lot of us want to know is, what did he know?” Mr de Blasio, who is also running for the Democratic presidential nomination, told reporters in Iowa.
“How many other millionaires and billionaires were part of the illegal activities that he was engaged in?
“Well, that information didn’t die with Jeffrey Epstein. That needs to be investigated, too.”
Profile: Disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein
Prince Andrew ‘groped’ woman, court files allege
Conspiracy theories started to emerge immediately following his death.
Epstein, 66, pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and conspiracy charges last month and was being held without bail.
His death came a day after hundreds of pages of court documents were released that revealed new allegations against him and some of his high-profile associates.
What were the circumstances of Epstein’s death?
Epstein died shortly after being found unconscious early on Saturday at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York City, considered one of the most secure in the country.
Last month, shortly after he was denied bail, Epstein was found in his cell with injuries to his neck and taken to hospital, in what prison officials had been investigating as a possible suicide attempt.
There are conflicting reports as to whether Epstein was placed on suicide watch following that incident. The New York Times reported that he had been under observation, but was taken off the watch more than a week before his death.
“How on earth is he not under special protection? What’s really going on here? I think that’s a question that we must get a full answer to,” said Mr de Blasio.
Police officers cover a medical examiner car outside the New York hospital where Epstein was taken to
In a letter to Attorney General William Barr, Republican Senator Ben Sasse said “heads must roll.”
“The Department of Justice failed, and today Jeffrey Epstein’s co-conspirators think they might have just gotten one last sweetheart deal,” he said.
“Every single person in the Justice Department – from your Main Justice headquarters staff all the way to the night-shift jailer – knew that this man was a suicide risk, and that his dark secrets couldn’t be allowed to die with him,” he added.
The attorney general said there were “serious questions that must be answered”. Mr Barr added that he was “appalled” by the news of Epstein’s death and said the justice department had opened its own investigation.
What reaction has there been from victims?
Elsewhere, Epstein’s alleged victims have expressed disappointment that he will no longer stand trial. “I am extremely mad and hurt thinking he once again thought he was above us and took the easy way out,” Jena-Lisa Jones said in a statement.
” I am angry Jeffrey Epstein won’t have to face the survivors of his abuse in court ,” another alleged victim, Jennifer Araoz, told CNBC.
“We have to live with the scars of his actions for the rest of our lives.”
A lawyer for some of the alleged victims, Lisa Bloom, said she would still seek compensation for them.
“We would have preferred he lived to face justice. Our civil cases can still proceed against his estate. Victims deserve to be made whole for the lifelong damage he caused,” she wrote on Twitter.
“I’ve sat with my clients as they have cried and talked about how their lives were changed forever,” she told MSNBC. “They deserve compensation.”
US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Geoffrey Berman, said the news of Epstein’s death was “disturbing”.
“We are deeply aware of their potential to present yet another hurdle to giving Epstein’s many victims their day in court,” he said in a statement. “We remain committed to standing for you, and our investigation… remains ongoing.”
What was he charged with?
Epstein was accused of paying girls under the age of 18 to perform sex acts at his Manhattan and Florida mansions between 2002 and 2005.
He was arrested on 6 July after landing in New Jersey on his private jet. He avoided similar charges in a controversial secret plea deal in 2008, and instead pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.
Jeffrey Epstein looks on during a bail hearing in Jeffrey Epsteins sex trafficking case in this court sketch
That plea deal was closely scrutinised in recent weeks and, last month, US Labor Secretary Alex Acosta resigned over his role in it .
Prosecutors also accused Epstein of paying large amounts of money to two potential witnesses ahead of his trial, which was scheduled to take place next year.
He faced up to 45 years in prison if convicted.
Who was Jeffrey Epstein?
New York-born Epstein worked as a teacher before moving into finance.
Prior to the criminal cases against him, he was best known for his wealth and high-profile connections.
He was often seen socialising with the rich and powerful, including President Donald Trump, former President Bill Clinton and the UK’s Prince Andrew.
In a 2002 profile in New York Magazine, Mr Trump referred to Epstein as a “terrific guy” .
Trump and Epstein in the 90s
But he later said the pair fell out “12 or 15 years ago” and reiterated last month that he was “not a fan of Jeffrey Epstein”.
Reports of Epstein’s wealth vary, with his Virgin Islands-based firm generating no public records.
Presentational grey line
History of the allegations
2002: The earliest allegations of abuse covered by the recent case take place.
October 2002: Donald Trump tells New York magazine he has known Epstein for 15 years , and that he is a “terrific guy…. it is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side”.
2005: One of Epstein’s alleged victims, aged 14, reports him to the police in Palm Beach – sparking the first investigation.
May 2006: Epstein is charged with unlawful sex acts with a minor. Later in the year, the case is referred to the FBI.
2007: A plea deal is struck with Alex Acosta, the US attorney in Florida. Instead of facing federal sex-trafficking charges, he pleads guilty to two charges of soliciting prostitution, including with a minor.
June 2008: Epstein is sentenced to 13 months in prison – a private wing of a county jail. He is also allowed to leave for work – up to 12 hours a day, six days a week. He does, however, have to register as a sex offender.
April 2017: Alex Acosta is appointed labor secretary by now-President Donald Trump.
November 2018: The Miami Herald publishes its explosive investigation into Epstein , the plea deal, and the dozens of women alleging abuse.
July 2019: Epstein is arrested on new sex-trafficking charges, which he denied. Alex Acosta resigns .
With many thanks to: BBC World News USA and Canada for the original story
The man was convicted following a trial at Kingston crown court of multiple counts of indecent assault on a boy
The man was convicted following a trial at Kingston crown court of multiple counts of indecent assault on a boy ( PA Archive/PA Images
A man who was sexually abused by a British Army cadet officer has spoken for the first time to urge other victims to come forward, after winning a payout from the Ministry of Defence.
As a teenager the victim suffered repeated indecent assaults by Stuart Stefano Benedetti at a weekend camping session in the early 2000s.
He kept quiet about the abuse for a decade before telling his parents and reporting it to police.
But he suffered the agony of the Crown Prosecution Service dropping the case. A second victim came forward in 2016, and the Army officer was convicted of sexual abuse and jailed for 15 years.
The man, who cannot be named, said: “I found it incredibly difficult to come to terms with what I had been through and only managed to have the courage to speak to my parents about it around 10 years later,” he said.
The man hired law firm Irwin Mitchell to pursue compensation over the abuse, ultimately securing an admission of liability and an interim payment from the Ministry of Defence.
His lawyer, Anna Pask, said: “It can be incredibly difficult for abuse survivors to speak out but our client has shown amazing courage to come forward and share his story.”
Benedetti, now 48, denied the abuse but was convicted following a trial at Kingston crown court of multiple counts of indecent assault on a boy.
The victim, who is now in his thirties, is using the money from the MoD to pay for specialist therapy.
An MOD spokesman declined to comment on the compensation claim while it continues, but said: “We have robust procedures in place to protect cadets … We encourage anyone who has been a victim, or knows someone who has, to report .
With many thanks to the