Now the British police are investigating the British police for British Collusion in the occupied six Counties of the North of Ireland. Does that make any sense?

Glennane gang: Jon Boutcher to head collusion investigation

Jon Boutcher will lead the investigation

Former Bedfordshire Police chief Jon Boutcher will head an inquiry into the activities of the Glenanne Gang.

In July, the Court of Appeal said a full, independent investigation must be held.

The loyalist paramilitary gang has been linked to up to 120 murders and included some serving members of the police and security services.

Mr Boucher is separately investigating the activities of an Army agent within the IRA, known as Stakeknife.

Glenanne gang victims win legal challenge

PSNI ‘must complete Glenanne Gang probe’
‘Establish the truth’

Mr Boutcher said the review would have the “interests of the victims, and their loved ones at its very heart”.

He said: “I will do everything I can to establish the truth about who was responsible for these terrible crimes.

“For the families that especially means finding out about what, if any, assistance was given to the Glenanne Gang by others in any manner whatsoever, and that will include whether people turned a blind eye to what was happening.”

The farm in Glenanne was alleged to be the base for the gang

An investigation into alleged security force collaboration with the gang was started by the now defunct Historical Enquiries Team (HET).

However, the HET was later abolished and the report, thought to be 80% complete, was shelved.

Families argued they were promised an investigation.

Initial legal proceedings against the PSNI were taken by Edward Barnard, whose 13-year-old brother Patrick was killed in the Hillcrest Bar bombing.

The boy was one of four people to die in the no-warning explosion on St Patrick’s Day, 1976.

Five years later, Dungannon Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) member Garnet James Busby received a life sentence after admitting his role in the bombing and other terrorist offences.

July’s Court of Appeal ruling upheld a previous court’s decision that had been challenged by the former PSNI Chief Constable, Sir George Hamilton.

Relatives of those allegedly murdered and injured by the so-called Glenanne Gang have campaigned for the investigation

Assistant Chief Constable George Clarke said the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s thoughts “first and foremost are with all of the families affected by these incidents”.

He added: “Following the Court of Appeal judgment on 5 July the chief constable undertook to commence work to appoint the Independent Police Team and he has now asked for the assistance of Jon Boutcher to head this team to conduct the analytical report on collusion as ordered by the court.”

The Glenanne Gang is believed to have been responsible for the murders of 33 people in the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

It has also been linked to a number of other atrocities, including the 1975 Miami Showband Massacre in which three members of the popular group were shot dead.

With many thanks to: BBC NewsNI for the original story 

 

The DUP#UDA calls for ex-RUC members not to be prosecuted for criminal crimes including collision with loyalist paramilitaries

Conversation
Belfast News Letter
@News_Letter
This is significant, because the DUP has never been so explicit before against the police misconduct element to the legacy plan, which is highly controversial because ex RUC alone would be investigated for ‘misconduct’
DUP rules out its support for legacy plan to pursue ex-RUC officers for non criminal ‘misconduct’
newsletter.co.uk
1:30 PM · Nov 29, 2019TweetDeck

Former MI5 head warns court action over when spies can commit crimes risks exposing informants

Lord Evans of Weardale CREDIT: DAVID MIRZOEFF/PA

A former head of MI5 has warned that a legal challenge against the security services over when spies are allowed to commit crimes risks exposing informants who have entrenched themselves

Campaigners begin their action in the courts on Tuesday over a document which was released last year which states undercover agents were permitted to commit crimes if they thought it was necessary.

It was signed by David Cameron, and human rights activists are demanding an inquiry into the transparency of the secret services and how they conduct their operations.

But Lord Evans of Weardale, who was MI5 director general until 2013, told the BBC’s Radio 4 Today programme certain aspects of such sensitive material through the courts could put spies in danger.

Insisting that it was right that “there’s nothing wrong with bringing a case” against potential wrongdoing and that it “up to the courts to decide what the outcome would be”, he warned that some information could out informants.

He said: “One of the concerns here is that if the exact details of the parameters that are applied are made public then we’re in a situation where a terrorist group who is trying to find out if anybody is actually giving out information could set tasks for them in such a way as to be sure that if they refuse to do that task they know they are working for the intelligence services.

“Not only would that be bad for intelligence gathering, but it would also be very dangerous for the safety of the agent.”

Maya Foa, director of Reprieve – the campaign group bringing the legal action – said she wants to know “what the limits are to this policy”.

“We have only recently discovered that there has been a policy in operation for decades authorising agents of MI5 to potentially commit serious crimes including torture and unlawful killing,” she said.

“Does it mean they can torture? Does it mean they can kill people? Can we torture a five-year-old child of a suspect?”

Lord Evans dismissed the claims, and said: “This isn’t about torture, and it’s not about killing.

MI5/MI6 GCHQ London

“If you’re going to be able to understand the nature of the details of threats to mount terrorist attacks in this country – a really important source of intelligence is humans who are part of the conspiratorial group.

“For many years, probably for decades, we’ve been in a situation where human source intelligence has been absolutely critical for keeping this country safe.”

The former head of MI5 pointed out that by infiltrating a banned group like National Action, agents are already committing a crime by merely being a member.

But pushed on whether MI5 agents are permitted to carry out a punishment beatings such as kneecapping, he said: “The rules are very clear – they are, in this game or in this process to safeguard the public and in order to keep the country safe and able to maintain the rule of law.

“So that’s the ground rules. You have to act in a proportionate way.”

He added: “There are no specific rules on exactly which crimes but there is very clear process to ensure that this is only done at a level which is appropriate, which maintains security and maintains the rule of law.”

With many thanks to: The Telegraph and Gareth Davies for original story 

Follow these links to find out more: https://thebreakingnewsheadlines.com/blog/mi5-role-before-london-bridge-attack-of-legitimate-concern/

(2)-: https://www.voanews.com/europe/britains-mi5-lowers-terrorist-threat-level?amp

(3)-: https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/09/secret-report-accused-mi5-police-killing-northern-ireland

 

John McDonnell signed a letter calling for MI5 and armed police to be disbanded

Labour’s shadow chancellor claimed he had not seen or signed the controversial missive, but a picture has emerged of him holding the list of demands

Jeremy Corbyn congratulates Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell after his keynote speech at the Labour Party Conference in Brighton Photo: Heathcliff

John McDonnell, Labour’s shadow chancellor, called for MI5 and the UK’s armed police force to be scrapped in a controversial campaign letter.

A picture has emerged showing Mr McDonnell holding the letter earlier this year, despite claims that he had never seen or signed it.

It demands that special police squads – like those that hunt terror suspects – be disbanded, as well as the Monarchy and the House of Lords.

Mr McDonnell called for special armed police forces to be disbanded Photo: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

The letter, organised by The Socialist Network as part of their “Socialist Campaign For a Labour Victory” was also signed by a group of Labour-supporting unions.

Mr McDonnell was present at the meeting where the demands were drawn up, despite claims made by his spokesman that he had not seen the letter.

In a tweet accompanying a picture of him holding the list of demands Labour’s shadow chancellor said the campaign: “Is important for ensuring a clear program of socialist demands on a Labour government”.

Socialist Campaign
@SCLV_UK
“SCLV is important for ensuring a clear program of socialist demands on
a Labour government.” @johnmcdonnellMP

7:48 PM – Apr 2, 2015
Twitter Ads info and privacy
46 people are talking about this
And a report about the meeting where the letter was agreed claims Mr McDonnell gave a speech.

The Socialist Campaign report added: “John talked about developing a left policy agenda for the Labour Party, but also the need for a politically solid network of socialist activists to create a “head of steam” around it.

“We discussed the draft statement launching the SCLV and agreed to add demands on the vital issue of childcare.”

“Disband MI5 and special police squads, disarm the police,” the letter states

Mr McDonnell’s support for disbanding the police came as David Cameron criticised Labour’s leader Mr Corbyn for his criticism of the shoot-to-kill policy

He said: “Has it not come to something when the Leader of Her Majesty’s Opposition is not sure what the police’s reaction should be when they are confronted by a Kalashnikov-waving terrorist?”

Labour MPs responded to the letter with fury, with one telling the Sun: “We are about half an inch away from meltdown”.

The letter also called for deportation of failed migrants to be scrapped, an end to tuition fees, high taxes for “the rich”, “free abortion on demand”, big cuts to military spending and Trident to be scrapped.

With many thanks to: The Telegraph and Kate McCann, Senior Political Correspondent for the original story 

 

RHI: ‘Eyebrows raised’ over inquiry solicitor’s advisory role at Department for Economy

The appointment of the solicitor to the RHI inquiry to a high-level post advising the department most centrally involved in the scandal ‘raised eyebrows’ in Stormont, says journalist Sam McBride

Patrick Butler, described as the “beating heart” of the inquiry, took up the position in the Department for the Economy (DfE) in the summer.

The journalist says that although the move was entirely within the rules it caused debate in Stormont.

“In summer 2019, as the inquiry was finalising its report and preparing right of reply letters to those it would criticise, Butler took up a high-level post advising the department most centrally involved in RHI – the Department for the Economy (DfE),” McBride writes.

“For half of the week he was working in the inquiry and for the remainder he was in Stormont, acting as a senior legal adviser to DfE.” The solicitor’s new role was “on a temporary and part-time basis” and was “completely separate from RHI and energy-related matters”.

However, McBride writes: “But even without being involved in anything RHI-related, the idea that a critical figure in the multi-million-pound inquiry investigating a departmental disaster would move to work for that department before the inquiry had even finished was problematic, at least in public relations terms. One civil servant said, ‘In terms of how it’s perceived, it doesn’t look good. There’s a lot of talk about it within the civil service’.”

McBride says that Mr Butler’s move was not announced by the RHI inquiry but was confirmed by it in response to questions after a source contacted him.

“As with several members of the inquiry’s staff, Butler was a civil servant – working as a lawyer in the Departmental Solicitor’s Office (DSO) – who had been seconded to the inquiry for its duration,” he writes.

“The inquiry said that Butler had been a staff member of the DSO throughout, in the same manner as with the public inquiry into historical institutional abuse, and ‘the inquiry chairman and the departmental solicitor were aware of this from the outset and were satisfied that robust measures were put in place to address any possible concerns about an actual, or perceived, conflict of interest. Ethical walls have been put in place to avoid any such conflict. Patrick Butler has not worked on any RHI-related work in his new role with the DSO’.”

The journalist writes: “The Department of Finance, within which the DSO sits, said that Butler had been appointed ‘on a temporary and part-time basis, to a legal advisory post which deals with DfE’ but that the role was ‘completely separate from RHI and energy-related matters’.”

The Department of Finance, which deals with the appointment of departmental solicitors, last night said: “Patrick Butler is in a legal advisory post which deals with Department for the Economy on a part-time basis.

“This post is advising on a range of DfE areas which are completely separate from RHI and energy related matters. The Departmental Solicitor’s Office put in place robust mechanisms to avoid any potential or perceived conflict of interest.”

With many thanks to the: Belfast Telegraph and Suzanne Breen for the original story 

Follow these links to find out more: https://socialistpartyni.org/analysis-news/local/rhi-inquiry-throws-light-on-stormonts-rotten-culture/

(2)-: https://seachranaidhe1.blog/2019/10/15/arlene-foster-refuses-to-explain-why-no-civil-servants-at-moya-park-meeting/

Drew Harris must resign in light of Glenanne Judgment – Relatives for Justice

https://www.relativesforjustice.com/drew-harris-must-resign-in-light-of-glenanne-judgment/

Why the BBC won’t be airing the No Stone Unturned documentary which was on RTÉ this week | JOE is the voice of Irish people at home and abroad

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/bbc-wont-airing-no-stone-unturned-documentary-rte-week-683690