TUV leader Jim Allister challenges legality of ‘IRA parade’ organised by Sinn Féin

“Parade in Rasharkin, Co. Antrim, to commemorate the murder of Irish Republican Gerard Casey who was shot dead at his home in the town of Rasharkin in 1989 by loyalist paramilitaries. ‘Picture by Jonathan Porter/PressEye

 

TUV leader Jim Allister has called for a probe into the legality of a republican parade in Rasharkin. Mr Allister said that Sunday’s parade in Rasharkin to commemorate “IRA terrorist Gerard Casey” does not seem to have been notified to the Parades Commission.

“It certainly is not mentioned on their website,” he said. “This in a town where there is considerable agitation against any loyalist parade and where any imagined breach of a Parades Commission determination is seized upon by Sinn Fein.

“Yet here we have a case where a Sinn Fein/IRA MLA travels from Belfast to address a parade which appears to have been clearly illegal. “Were the PSNI present at this commemoration of a terrorist? They have no problem finding the manpower to enforce determinations against loyalist parades in Rasharkin.

Where were they today? The PSNI need to act against those involved in the parade, including Maskey.” The News Letter is contacting the Parades Commission and Sinn Fein for comment.

A PSNI spokeswoman said the application for the parade was on the Parade Commission’s website and that it had been appropriately applied for and approved. As such, it would have been policed with an appropriate police presence, as are all approved parades, she added.

The Parades Commission website says the application reference number PAR\83564 was submitted by the Gerard Casey Sinn Féin Cumann, Rasharkin.

With many thanks to the: The Ballymoney Times and Philip Brad field for the original story

Read more at: https://www.ballymoneytimes.co.uk/news/crime/tuv-leader-jim-allister-challenges-legality-of-ira-parade-organised-by-sinn-fein-1-8881801

Five UDA men to stand trial for bar room attack on former leading loyalist

FIVE men have been ordered to stand trial accused of a bar room attack on a former leading loyalist.

Darren Moore sustained multiple head fractures, facial lacerations and a puncture wound to his stomach in an assault carried out while he was under threat from loyalists

Aaron Cahoon (28), David Rush (35), David Gibson (45), below, Robert Campbell (33), and Joshua Wylie (20), were part of a group of UDA thugs who beat Darren Moore (pictured above), with a hammer and bats at a pub in Doagh, Co Antrim in March 2017.

David Gibson (45), of Milewater Drive, Newtownabbey.

They appeared togeather at Belfast Magistrates’ Court yesterday jointly charged with intentionally causing him grievous bodily harm, possessing offensive weapons with intent to commit an indictable offence, and affray.

Moore, in his forties and formerly from the Mount Vernon area of Belfast, was said to have been attacked inside McConnell’s Bar (pictured below). He sustained multiple head fractures, facial lacerations and a puncture wound to his stomach in an assault carried out while he was under threat from loyalists, detectives disclosed previously.

McConnell’s Bar in Doagh, were the attack was carried out.

Up to 10 men were said to have launched the attack before escaping in a number of cars. Cahoon, of Cherrymount; Rush, from Ballyvesey Green; Gibson, of Milewater Drive – all in Newtownabbey; Campbell, from Clareville Avenue in Ballyclare; and Wylie, of Galgorm Road in Ballymeana, all deny the charges.

During the preliminary enquiry hearing all five men nodded to confirm they understood the allegations against them. None of them called witnesses or gave evidence at this stage in the proceedings. Backing prosecution submissions that each of the accused has a case to answer, District Judge Fiona Bagnall returned them all for Crown Court trial. She then released them on continuing bail until their arraignment on a date to be fixed. None of of the men were charged with belonging to an illegal organisition namely the UDA.

With many thanks to: The Irish News for the origional story.

Two men charged over murder of SEA UDA loyalist George Gilmore in ongoing loyalist fued

More on: Ongoing loyalist in fued

George Gilmore
George Gilmore was shot in a “ruthless attack in broad daylight”, police said

Two men have been charged with the murder of a high-profile loyalist after a gun attack in County Antrim.

George Gilmore, who was 44, was shot in the neck while he was in his car

Police forensic officers at the scene of the shootingImage copyrightPRESS EYE
Image captionPolice sealed off part of Pinewood Avenue as they investigated the attack on Monday

He died in hospital on Tuesday and police described his killing as a “ruthless attack in broad daylight”.

The two men, aged 28 and 35, will appear in court in Belfast on Saturday morning on several charges.

As well as the murder charge they will each face, the men are also accused of two counts of attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

DAVID FORD VISITS PORTLAOISE PRISON IN BID TO END ROW

Ford visits jail in bid to end row
Press Association – 3 hours ago
Stormont’s Justice Minister is to visit Portlaoise Prison in the Republic as efforts continue to defuse a long-running jail dispute in Northern Ireland.Around 30 dissident republican prisoners in Maghaberry jail in Co Antrimare involved in a so-called no wash or dirty protest against the jail’s regime.Objections to full body searches when leaving or entering the prison have sparked calls for the use of a special hi-tech chair, similar to that used in Portlaoise, to help prison staff to check for contraband without physically searching inmates.David Ford said, however, that prison staff had adhered to agreements at Maghaberry and he doubted if the technology existed to entirely replace searches.

After a meeting of justice ministers from Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic and Scotland at Stormont, Mr Ford revealed he will visit Portlaoise within weeks to examine how it handles top security prisoners.

“As far as I am concerned the prison service is adhering to the agreement that was made with the separated prisoners in August of 2010,” said Mr Ford.

“But there are clear issues around controlled movement which remain to be resolved which cannot be resolved while the difficulties are happening. There are also issues about technology to avoid full body searching. That is an issue that I am concerned we will make progress on for the whole of the Northern Ireland prison service estate.

“And if there are opportunities which develop, that maintain dignity for prisoners and prison staff, and also security for prison and prison staff, then we are willing to implement them.”

Mr Ford said he would explore the possibility of employing new technologies. But the minister added: “At the moment I have no evidence that there is any technology as yet licensed for use within Northern Ireland that would meet all our needs.”

The Republic’s justice minister Alan Shatter said he had full confidence that Mr Ford was dealing with the prison protest appropriately.

 
With Many Thanks To :  Press Association – 3 hours ago

Marian Price sent to Maghaberry for “operational reasons”

Marian Price holds a statement which is read by a masked RIRA man in Derry

Marian Price holds a statement which is read by a masked RIRA man in Derry / presseye
 

The Prison Service has confirmed that prominent dissident spokeswoman Marian Price is being held in Maghaberry men’s jail instead of Hydebank Wood women’s prison.

The 57 year-old spokeswoman for the 32 County Sovereignty Movement (CSM) was returned to prison on Monday after Secretary of State Owen Paterson revoked her licence, claiming she posed a significantly increased threat to society.

She had appeared in court in Derry on Monday to face charges of encouraging support for an illegal organisation.

The charge relates to an incident in which Ms Price was pictured holding up a statement read by a masked Real IRA man at a dissident republican rally in Derry on Easter Sunday.

She claimed that the masked man had asked her to hold the sheet and that she had no knowledge of the content of the statement.

She was released on bail on these charges but the court was then informed that the Secretary of State had decided to revoke her licence.

In 1973 Ms Price was jailed for 20 years for her involvement in a PIRA bombing campaign in London.

However, instead of sending the 57 year-old to Hydebank Wood women’s jail, where every other female prisoner is held, a Prison Service spokesman confirmed that a decision had been taken to instead send her to Maghaberry for “operational reasons”.

It is understood that Ms Price is now being held on a prison wing in Maghaberry on her own.

The women’s wing at Maghaberry was closed in 2004 with all female inmates being transferred to Hydebank.

However it is understood the decision to incarcerate Ms Price in Maghaberry has led to a “logistical headache” for prison chiefs, who may now have to consider re-opening a dedicated wing for female republican prisoners at the Co Antrim jail.

Republican and loyalist male inmates are already held on separate wings inside the Co Antrim prison, because of their paramilitary allegiances.

Ms Price is understood to have insisted that she is entitled to be treated as a republican prisoner and not expected to associate with `ordinary’ inmates.

A Prison Service spokesman said it did not discuss individual cases.

Security sources have confirmed that prison chiefs will now be forced to consider opening a female republican wing, if any other women are remanded in custody on dissident charges.

At present a number of females are awaiting trial in connection with dissident activities.

However, all have so far been released on bail while awaiting trial.

In 1973 Ms Price was jailed for life for her part in the PIRA bombing campaign in London which injured 200 people, including one man who died as a result of a heart attack.

Her sentence was later reduced to 20 years.

Ms Price, her sister Dolours and Sinn Fein’s Gerry Kelly later went on hunger strike for 200 days to be repatriated to serve their sentences in Northern Ireland.

The Price sisters were returned to Armagh Prison in 1974.

In 1980 Marian Price was released from Armagh jail after then Secretary of State Humphrey Atkins granted her a Royal Prerogative of Mercy (RPM), as she was seriously ill and suffering from anorexia and tuberculosis.

“She is rapidly reaching a point where she cannot any longer be treated in prison,” a Prison Service spokesman said at the time.

“We have taken the most expert medical advice in this matter and the Secretary of State (for Northern Ireland) has made his decision on humanitarian grounds in the hope that her condition may be checked.”

Ms Price’s legal team are now understood to be preparing to launch a legal challenge, arguing that the Secretary of State was not legally entitled to order that the 57-year-old should be returned to prison, as she had been released by Royal Prerogative of Mercy and not on licence.

However, a Northern Ireland Office spokesman last night insisted that Mr Paterson had been entitled to order Ms Price’s return to prison, claiming that she while she had been granted an Royal Prerogative of Mercy, she had also been released on licence at the same time.

“She was granted a Royal Prerogative of Mercy on the determinate sentence she received, but she was also released on licence for the indeterminate sentence she had also received.’’

With many thanks to : By Barry McCaffrey ( THE DETAIL ) !!!