Declassified files from Northern Ireland Troubles placed online

null
Click on ‘More Pictures’ to view our Troublesgallery

Declassified secret

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/declassified-files-from-northern-ireland-troubles-placed-online-14971437.html#ixzz1PtxVEA8z

Saturday, 9 October 2010

Declassified secret files on the early years of the Troubles have gone online for the first time.

People will now be able to access the recently published records from home following an initiative launched at the Magee campus by the University of Ulster and the Public Record Office (PRO) of Northern Ireland this week.

Staff from the university have worked with the PRO to make the records freely available on the University of Ulster’s Conflict Archive on the INternet (CAIN) website: cain.ulster.ac.uk/proni.

The records cover a broad range of issues including security, politics and education.

They comprise a selection of material for the period 1968-79 which is already in the public domain, having been published under the 30-year rule — the timeframe within which official documents are kept hidden from public gaze. Those behind the initiative said that the records provide a valuable online digital resource for researchers looking for information on the Troubles and politics of Northern Ireland during this period.

The new archive was officially launched by Sir Kenneth Bloomfield, a former head of the Northern Ireland Civil Service, at an event in the Great Hall, Magee. The records include part of the period when he was a senior Government official.

Dr Brendan Lynn, deputy director of CAIN, which is based at Magee, said: “We have been delighted to cooperate with PRONI in order to add to and supplement the existing resources on CAIN.”

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/declassified-files-from-northern-ireland-troubles-placed-online-14971437.html#ixzz1PtyBGnGn

COPY OF AN ARTICLE THAT APPEARED IN THE BELFAST TELEGRAPH

POSTED BY SEACHRANAIDHE1

THE BALLYMURPHY MASSACRE 1971

 

Ballymurphy.org web site

Springhill 33rd web site

Bloody Sunday Trust

Ballymurphy Massacre Song

Online Petition

 

SECTARIAN POLITICAL POLICING

 

Sunday, 19 June 2011

SECTARIAN POLITICAL POLICING OF NATIONALIST & UNIONIST PROTESTS

 
SECTARIAN POLITICAL POLICING

Earlier this week, Unionists including members of the Orange Order, Loyalist Paramilitaries and Twaddell/Woodvale residents blocked the Woodvale and Twaddell Avenue for two successive nights. The large crowds ensured that access to two major roads was prevented and the RUC/PSNI facilitated these protests. 

The reason for holding these protests were that the Parades Commission had banned the annual ‘Tour of the North’ feeder parades from walking the Upper Crumlin Road through the Greater Ardoyne area. As these marches regularly cause increased community tensions and riots. After the feeder parade finished, a senior Orangeman handed the RUC/PSNI a letter of protest before the whole debacle ended in serious stone throwing and a mini riot. According to the PSNI, a number of it’s members were injured during the disturbances.

Unsurprisingly for Greater Ardoyne residents, no plastic bullets at the Loyalist rioters. No water cannon was deployed against these crowds engaged in widespread rioting. To date, no one has been charged in connection with blocking the roads. Whereas last July, scores of Nationalist protesters were immediately arrested and appeared in Court charged with unlawfully blocking a major road.

Soon after these arrests, serious rioting broke out in the area by Nationalists who became inflamed by the huge military-style curfew imposed on the Greater Ardoyne area to facilitate an Orange march. Nearly 100 lethal plastic bullets were fired at local people. Some four water cannons were also used and dozens of RUC/PSNI members were injured by rioters.

The ‘Policing’ operation for the day cost the taxpayer over £2.2 million and the ensuing riots went down in history as a serious problem for a peaceful future. GARC had warned everyone that if the 12th Parade was permitted to proceed along the Crumlin Road, violence was inevitable. However, these warnings were ignored by the powers in Stormont who pushed ahead with their plans to force another unwelcome sectarian march through Ardoyne.

Now, we have again witnessed partial political policing which marred decades of the RUC’s history. Wherby, the Nationalist community were treated as second-class citizens in a British State. Where the British Police constantly mistreated Nationalists and used peaceful resistance against Apartheid rule as subversive and to be crushed at all costs.

The recent Woodvale Riots and the kid-gloves approach to the Protestant/Unionist and Loyalist community demonstrates in clear terms that like the RUC. The PSNI refuses to deal with lawbreakers within that community. Which again proves that they are unreformable and will continue to be partial to British citizens in the Occupied Six Counties.

GARC call upon the new Parades Commission not to be intimidated by Unionist violence and when it debates this year’s 12th parade through Greater Ardoyne it MUST rule in favour of local residents who want to be left in peace without enduring unwelcome marches, military-style curfews, plastic bullets and serious rioting! If there is NO PARADE, there will be NO VIOLENCE!

 
Posted by Ardoyne Republican at

 
REPOSTED ON BEHALF OF :  Ardoyne Republican.