Christian Constantin says he “doesn’t want to take anything away” from Celtic but will continue to fight for a Europa League place.
Sion president Christian Constantin has insisted he will keep fighting to get his club reinstated in the Europa League but says he bears Celtic no ill will.
Celtic were knocked out by Sion in the qualification play-off but granted re-entry when the Swiss club were expelled for fielding ineligible players.
Sion have pursued their case against UEFA to be reinstated and have won some court victories but the governing body has said that only the Court of Arbitration for Sport can rule on the case.
“We will do everything to play in the Europa League,” Constantin told Spanish sports newspaper AS. “We have not been eliminated from this competition and we are going to do everything in our power.
“We have qualified for this year’s competition and we want to play in it as next year we hope to qualify for the Champions League.”
UEFA have already looked at possible scenario to engineer Sion’s re-instatement should they win. Although four rounds of games in Group I will have been completed by Thursday, Constantin says it is possible his team could still play a part.
“I’m not going to say that we have to play the six (group) games,” he said. “We could play two which would be the easiest option regarding dates.”
Regardless of the outcome, the club president insisted there were no hard feelings as far as Celtic were concerned.
“Celtic have had the support of UEFA lawyers to attack us,” he said. “But each club has to defend its interests.
“If Celtic have been given advantages, it’s not because they have requested them.
“Celtic have been lucky to be in this situation but we don’t want to take anything away from them on the pitch.”
The brother of Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has appeared in court after being extradited to Northern Ireland.
Liam Adams was remanded in custody
Liam Adams was handed over by gardai (Irish police) to PSNI officers on Wednesday evening.
The 56-year-old was then arrested on 18 warrants, including charges of rape, gross indecency and indecent assault.
They relate to the alleged abuse of his daughter Aine Tyrell. He was remanded in custody at a hearing in Belfast on Thursday.
Bail was refused on the grounds that he was “a real flight risk”.
This was despite his solicitor telling the court that Mr Adams had “nowehere to run to”.
Mr Adams denies abusing Ms Tyrell, who has waived her right to anonymity.
The allegations were first reported when Ms Tyrell took part in a television documentary in 2009.
Mr Adams handed himself in to police in Dublin last year after a European arrest Warrent was issued by the PSNI.
Last month he was refused permission to appeal his extradition from the Republic, where he had been living.
Mr Adams is to appear in court again in a week’s time.
Liam Adams’ appeal bid dismissed
Liam Adams to be extradited to NI