A video of British soldiers from the Parachute Regiment using a large image of Labour party leader, Jeremy Corbyn, for target practice has resulted in widespread anger and outage after it was shared on social media on Tuesday evening.
The video emerged on Twitter on Tuesday and shows four British soldiers pointing handguns at a large photograph of Mr. Corbyn.
Soldiers from the British Parachute Regiment pictured using a large image of Labour party leader, Jeremy Corbyn.
After the soldiers have finished discharging their weapons the person recording the incident moves the camera towards the image to show how many of the projectiles struck Mr. Corbyn’s face.
“We are aware of a video circulating on social media, this behaviour is totally unacceptable and falls well below the high standards the army expects, a full investigation has been launched,” said a spokesperson for the British army.
The 1st Battalion, Parachute Regiment were responsible for the deaths of 14 people who lost their lives as a result of Bloody Sunday in Derry on January 30, 1972.
The soldiers in the video were from 3rd Battalion, Parachute Regiment.
The incident concerning the video was discussed on talk radio station, L.B.C., by presenter James O’Brien on Wednesday.
Kate Nash, whose 19 year-old brother, William Nash, was shot dead by British soldiers on Bloody Sunday.
Ms. Nash contacted L.B.C. to condemn the video.
“The video is an assault on democracy,” said Ms. Nash whose father, Alexander Nash, was shot by the British army as he attempted to reach his son, William, on Bloody Sunday.
“Nobody’s face should be used like that – it’s an incitement to hatred plain and simple,” she added.
With many thanks to: Derry Journal and Andrew Quinn for the original story
The family of the last person to be killed by British soldiers on Bloody Sunday appear set to receive at least £258,000 in damages.
The recommended pay-out for the shooting of father-of-six Bernard “Barney” McGuigan in Derry was disclosed during proceedings at the High Court.
But a possible appeal is also being considered against a ruling that an extra £15,000 should be awarded for injury to the 41-year-old victim’s feelings.
Thirteen people were shot dead when members of the Parachute Regiment opened fire on civil rights demonstrators in January 1972. A fourteenth victim died later from his wounds.
Civil actions were brought by victims and their families after a major tribunal established the innocence of all those killed and wounded.
The Saville Inquiry’s findings in 2010 prompted the then Prime Minister, David Cameron, to publicly apologise for the actions of the soldiers.
He described the Bloody Sunday killings as “unjustified and unjustifiable”.
With liability accepted, proceedings are centred on the level of damages to be paid out.
More than £1.8m has already been paid out in settlements and awards made in 16 other claims.
Mr McGuigan, a painter and decorator, was shot at the Rossville Flats area as he went to the aid of 31-year-old Patrick Doherty, another of those shot dead on the day.
Bernard “Barney” McGuigan was killed on Bloody Sunday
He had been waving a white handkerchief when hit by a bullet to the head, killing him instantly.
Counsel for the McGuigan family, Brian Fee QC, contended that aggravated damages should also be awarded due to the circumstances surrounding his killing.
“This man emerged from a position of shelter to try and help others, and must have been terrified as he did so,” he said.
David Ringland QC, representing the Ministry of Defence (MoD), argued that aggravated damages are not recoverable because death was instantaneous.
Ruling on the dispute, Mr Justice McAlinden backed the plaintiff.
“The wrongful actions of the servants or agents of the defendant on the day in question would have filled the deceased with fear and dread, coupled with a strong sense of indignation and hurt at being the innocent victim of a blatant, unprovoked and unjust attack by members of the army,” he said.
He also held that the behaviour of the soldiers responsible for the shootings was “imbued with a degree of malevolence and flagrancy which was truly exceptional”.
Based on Mr McGuigan being killed instantly, the judge decided his estate is entitled to £15,000 aggravated damages.
At a further hearing on Thursday he was told the MoD is considering whether to appeal that award, and that counsel has provided advice.
Any challenge could impact on similar claims for aggravated damages in outstanding cases brought by the Doherty family and others, the court heard.
It then emerged that an overall settlement of £273,000 has been advanced in the McGuigan case – made up of £258,000 plus the £15,000 awarded.
“That’s the recommended figure,” Mr Ringland said.
Noting the agreement reached between counsel, Mr Justice McAlinden said a formal decree can be made once final authorisation is obtained.
Outside court a lawyer for the Doherty family expressed disappointment at both having their case adjourned and the potential appeal to the aggravated damages award to the McGuigan family.
Fearghal Shiels of Madden & Finucane Solicitors claimed: “It is a trivial amount in the context of the MoD’s limitless budget, and their general approach to this litigation is far removed from the efficient manner with which it undertook to approach these proceedings in 2011.”
With many thanks to the: Belfast Telegraph and Alan Erwin for the original story
It must bea great consolation to the relatives of those slaughtered on Bloody Sunday in Derry and in Ballymurphy, that they were shot down ina dignified and appropriate manner by the cowardly thugs of the Parachute Regiment.
The DUP posed the question in Parliament, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they also had a hand in scripting the answer too.
When David Cameron made his belated apology 40 years after the event, it was designed to draw a line under the brutal and illegal act, and the relatives were supposed to be hugely impressed. As one commentator noted, he had apologised and his apology had been accepted.
What the people in this part of Ireland must realise is that the British place no value on Irish lives, be they men, women or children.
They have shown that they’re prepared to gun down the people in the streets of their cities and towns, apologise 40 years later and the broken hearted families are supposed to suck it up.
The Derry people had the absolute gall to hold a civil rights march in their own city.
Why didn’t they already have civil rights after eight centuries of continuous foreign rule?
How much longer were they supposed to wait?
The Irish people must see by now that they’ll never get justice from the British.
They will have to take their courage come border poll time and make the border disappear, take control of the motherland and map out their own destiny be they Catholic, Protestant or Dissenter.
A banner showing support for an ex-soldier facing prosecution for the murder of two people on Bloody Sunday “should not offend anyone”, a DUP councillor has said.
It comes after the Public Prosecution Service this month charged a man known only as ‘Soldier F’ for the murders of James Wray and William McKinney, who were killed in the Bogside area of Londonderry on January 30, 1972.
In the wake of the decision, a number of Parachute Regiment flags have appeared in the predominantly loyalist Co Antrim towns of Larne and Carrickfergus.
And in recent days, a banner bearing the words ‘Carrickfergus stands with Soldier F’ was erected near the town’s historic castle
Some have hit out at the appearance of the banner, including Alliance Party council candidate and former RAF member, Noel Williams.
He told the News Letter: “As an ex-armed forces man, I find the use of the regimental insignia in this way to be totally unacceptable.
“It is being used to raise tensions and should be removed, as there is no doubt that is hurtful to the families of those killed on Bloody Sunday.
“In terms of the case of Soldier F, my view is that is an ongoing case and we must let the law take its course.”
However, DUP group leader on Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, Gregg McKeen defended the banner and said it “is not hurting anyone”.
He told the News Letter: “People feel aggrieved that the PPS has decided to charge this soldier and want to show their support. They are entitled to do that and I see no problem with that.
“It is not doing anyone any harm or victimising anyone. It is a banner showing support for something that people believe in strongly.
“No one should be offended by this and I don’t see it as contentious.”
Meanwhile, a former paratrooper is returning his medal for service in Northern Ireland in “disgust” over the prosecution of Soldier F.
Jim Kenyon told the Hereford Times that he would be sending his service medals to the prime minister and 22 white feathers to the cabinet in protest at the decision.
He will also be sending a letter criticising the treatment of military veterans.
With many thanks to the: Carrick Times and Stephen Gamble for the original story